Crédit : Mathieu Dupuis
The village is named for Hector Authier, a public figure who wore many hats over his lifetime: land agent, mayor of Amos, Minister of Colonization, member of the Quebec Legislative Assembly, town council president and federal MP.
He also founded Abitibi’s first weekly newspaper.
Tourists who visit Authier in the summer can tour the musée École du rang II, a country schoolhouse built in 1937. This historical monument is known worldwide.